Tuesday, September 21, 2010

countin' my pennies

My hit counter thing-a-majig is showing that people actually read this thing, unless my mom just logs in a dozen times a day and that's what is bringing the count up. But assuming she's not, I'm pretty stoked that people care about where I am and what I'm doing :)


At the moment, I'm in North Sydney waiting for the ferry to take me to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. I bought instant noodles from the dollar store (4 for a buck!), filled my thermos with hot water from the coffee machine at the gas station, then headed down to the docks. I dumped the noodles into the hot water, tossed in chopped carrot and green onion, and sat cross-legged on a picnic table, loitering at the wharf while the moon came up with Atlantic Vision (one of the ferries) in the foreground. Currently I'm chilling out in the public library, charging my ipod and until a few moments ago was reading a Calvin and Hobbes anthology.

Crossing the country has made for an unbelievable summer. It's not over yet, but I've gained quite a bit from the experiences I've had. I'm going to open up the vault (ha, what vault? Everyone knows I'm an easy cookie to crack) and share a couple things that might make other vagabonds, cycling nomads, or just shoe-string travellers lives a bit easier...and by easier what I really mean is: "these are things I've learned that have enabled me to travel far and spend little"

1. Libraries: They're truly amazing resources. It wasn't until I moved to Terrace for the summer that I actually appreciated all greatness they have to offer. Free internet, movie rentals, CD loans, washroom facilities and water fountains? Amazing. Outlets to charge your electronics, stacks of magazines and newspapers. Oh, I forgot to mention they're full of books that you can just pick up and read. On a cold, wet day on the road, there is no finer place for me than inside a library.

2. Subway: All Subways have cold water on tap. Once I discovered that they don't really mind if you just wander in, ask to fill up your bottles, and leave, I was able to stop using restroom tap water for my bottles. And, you know it's not stinky well water that's going to give you diarrhea. Bonus: they also have ice. Plus, with an accidental slip of the finger, you might get fruitopia instead of water-not that I'm advocating this or anything.

3. "Oh, refills are free, right?" I tend to use this line anytime I have doubts of whether or not the refill is going to be free. Specifically at coffee shops. Give'm a little smile (perhaps a flirtatious wink?) and the barista will usually go along with it, and voila! Two drinks for the price of one :)

4. "Do you know anywhere I can pitch a tent around here?" This just opens up a whole world of possibles. People might suggest a nearby beach, picnic area, the soccer pitch, their backyard, their neighbors orchard, behind the firehall, ect. ect. It's a great way to avoid campgrounds, and not that I'm against campgrounds, but straight up: this trip would not be possible if I was paying $10, 20, or 32 (Ontario provincial parks are expensive places) a night just to lay my head to rest.

5. Visitors Centers: Great place for regional info (obviously), as well as water, washrooms, sometimes showers, internet access, and maps, usually free of charge. Whenever I enter a new province or city, the first thing I do is follow the boxy question mark signs to the visitors center. Staff are always really friendly, helpful, and full of awesome advice.

6. Peanut butter: It goes on anything, it's full of calories, and it's delicious (assuming you're not one of those unfortunate few with a nut alergy.)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, While I have been known to log on a few times a day, checking for updates, a dozen is a little much:)
    So, yah people are reading about your journey.
    XOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Meg's got a following....

    My hubby and I had the pleasure of hosting Meg and her sister for several days on their BC to Mexico trip last year and came away from the experience feeling like we'd gained daughters. :)

    Hi, Carol! Your girls are great!

    Mary D.

    ReplyDelete