Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Meet the Rabbitts!

So my entire life, I've been kind of obsessed with rabbits and bunnies. Every year I'd get a stuffed bunny at Easter, along with piles of chocolate eggs. When we were kids, our parents intercepted a couple on the way to the soup pot, and we kept them as pets for a few years until mine was run over by a car and Lisha's was so heartbroken that he ran off into the wilderness and died of a broken heart.

But this is all besides my point, which is that while passing through Creston we rode south to Lister and stayed with my Mom's uncle Bernie and the rest of the Rabbitt family. For me, it was a really cool experience because although I've met Bernie before, I didn't remember him (I was like 10 at the time, and all relatives over about 40 looked the same to me, regardless of age or gender), and I didn't know the rest of his family. So we quickly became acquainted with the Rabbitts over the course of an evening. We rode up to their place in Lister around sunset, and were treated to a fresh caught trout baked with the most incredible cream cheese seasoning I've ever had. Bernie's wife Annette reminded me of my Grandma Betsy, "I'm going to feed you so much that you won't have to eat again until Saskatoon!" and she did. My taste buds loved every moment of it. My stomach was visibly bigger after we finished the coffee cake.

The rest of the evening was spent talking with Bernie, Annette, as well as their daughter Melissa and her husband Parker about biking, Egypt, kids, and the telecommunications industry. I love meeting relatives I never knew I had, and felt pretty lucky to see such a happy family of individuals, including baby Benjamin. We left the next morning with our tummies full of food, our hearts full of good memories, and our bags full of coffee cake and moose sausage.

1 comment:

  1. Great to get an update. Really, you are so lucky to have all these people welcome you into their homes, feed you and send you on the road with more food. Even better to hear their stories and share yours.
    Wish I could get out to visit Uncle Bernie!
    Happy riding.

    ReplyDelete