Monday, May 24, 2010

Final Preparations


See you on the flipside Surrey!
So after months of waiting, counting down, saving my pennies and dreaming of the open road, I'm finally ready to depart. I spent the weekend out on the deck saying goodbye to friends and family over burgers, beer, and hottub conversations. It's not until I said all my farewells, exchanged warm hugs and eyefuls of emotion, that I felt really and truly ready to embark on this journey. So now it's all good :) Saying goodbye, I think, really gives you a chance to think about the relationships that have developed over the days, weeks, months, and years. Rolling over the good and bad, humorous and ridiculous, extraordinary and mundane, the only rock solid conclusion I could draw is that I have an encyclopedia of memories stored in a warehouse of drawers in my head. It's like the final scene of the last Indiana Jones film, when they cart off the artifacts into a vast and seemingly unending government warehouse. That's my mind.

Of course, in typical Meaghan-style, I procrastinated on packing my gear until Sunday afternoon (supposed to be catching the 10:00am ferry on Monday morning), waiting until after I had woken up from my peaceful slumber, leisurely enjoyed a latte on the deck with Rexy by my side, and read the Sunday funnies. I cleaned and oiled my bike, as well as re-attached the fenders and zap-strapped my totally fabulous flag to the back. My dad the fix-it guy gave me a hand, and we spent much of the evening listening to Paul Simon and discussing the merits and drawbacks of various equipment choices.

So now I'm ready. Or at least I think I am. I'm definitely excited. And not just because Philip scored me a wicked awesome ipod touch and a keyboard phone (for texting!) at a decent price. I'm stoked because a new chapter of my life is unfolding. Because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. Because my future is uncertain, but it's in my hands :)

No comments:

Post a Comment