Monday, May 31, 2010

Wrapping up week one in Victoria


So we made it: mission accomplished! We rode into Victoria in the late afternoon on the Galloping Goose-a multiuse path built over the old rail line. It was a scenic detour from the increasingly busy island hwy, and provided a much more relaxing ride into the city. We knew we were getting close to our destination when we started to encounter hoards of cycle commuters, all decked out in brightly coloured MEC rain gear. It was awesome :)

The same thrill and excitement that followed me as I rode into San Francisco accompanied me as I rode into Victoria. Perhaps because I entered both cities via bridges, anticipating good times, cheap eats, and a plethora of delightful coffee shops. In Victoria, we stayed with my cousin (not really my cousin, but it's easier to pretend she is) Chloe and her boyfriend Andrew at their apartment on Yates. Dad and I spent most of our time bombing around the city on our bikes-whirlwind tour-eating at pubs and Chinese bakeries and speeding up and down the streets and alleyways on our two-wheeled wonders.

It had become obvious to me at this point that I needed to lose some weight. Body weight doesn't really concern me: cycling 6-8 hours a day somehow has a way of encouraging a more svelte figure. But my excess gear baggage was definitely beginning to take it's toll. I decided to drop the cameo tarp, jeans, one pair of undies, and a couple other small items. I threw down $280 for a new (solo) tent (believe me, it hurt. I haven't spent that much money on one item since I bought my bike...wait, that was a grad gift) from MEC. It weights over a kilo less than my old one, so I think I'll notice the difference as I'm kickin it up the coquihalla.

So on Friday night, my uncle Brent and his girlfriend Janice made the journey down from Quadra on the motorbike. So, here we were, six of us, in a one bedroom apartment. And, my Dad had volunteered me to cook everyone dinner! Now, if anyone knows me, they know that I'm not the chef. Lisha is. I'm the one who entertains people with stories of wild nights and ridiculous adventures. I'm the one who chases cars on my bike. I'm the one who eats until I look as if I'm 5 months preggers with a food baby, then lets out a roaring burp. But I'm not the cook!

Nonetheless, always up for a challenge, I concocted a meal plan (cheesy pasta, roast veggies, garlic bread, and spinach salad topped with a raspberry vinaigrette) and we ventured out to scourge up the necessary ingredients. Dad took the role of sous chef, chopping and cutting and peeling, while I masterminded the dinner and tried not to burn everything. Proper care and due attention (mixed with a little bit of luck) ensured that everything turned out alright. It would have made Lish proud :)

Thus we dined and drank, reminiscing about days long past and sharing the latest on goings in our lives. Dad and Brent laughed as they told of their travels down the Pacific Coast by bike and backpacking in Central America in the late 70s. Thinking about it, I realize that I can't help but be inspired by those around me, and if I hadn't grown up around such thoughtful, curious, and adventure seeking individuals, I might still be employed like a normal person and not embarking on the journey of a lifetime.

So as I rolled out my thermarest and curled up on the floor to sleep, I couldn't help but think about how grateful I was to be surround by awesome people who cared about each other, and cared about me. I know when we meet again, we'll have plenty more to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment