Thursday, May 20, 2010

Game Plan?!

I like to tell people that I'm biking to Newfoundland. The common response is something like, "what? why would you want to ride your bike there?" and I'm like "why wouldn't I want to go there?". I guess part of the reason I'd like to go to Newfoundland is because I'll have to cross the rest of the country to get there, therefor making sure that I don't shortcut my way out of experience a whole bunch of marvelous and fantastic things along the way. Canada is a huge and varied country, and I'm totally stoked on seeing the scenery changes as I most eastward, and how people in particular places live their lives differently. Plus, I've been told that folks from Newfoundland have a distinct accent, that they're really hospitable, and that the coastal scenery is incredible. And although this all sound great, I think there's got to be more to it than that (as there always is), so I'll have to head across the country to check it all out for myself.

I don't really have it figured out exactly how I'm going to get to the east coast though. I mean, I know I'm going to be riding my bike, sometimes for long days, sometimes guerrilla camping or sleeping on the sofas of kind strangers who permit me to do so, but I really don't have my route planned. I have vague idea of how I'm going to travel out of BC (first to Vancouver Island with my pops to cycle through Cowichan Lake, Port Renfrew, Victoria, Sydney, and then back to the mainland via Whislter, Kamloops, Vernon, Kelowna, Nelson, and then up to Calgary), but based on past experiences that's pretty much guaranteed to change. I figure once I get to Calgary, I'll try and figure out how to get through the prairies. And once I get to Ontario, I'll plan out how to get to PEI. And once I get to PEI...well, you get the picture.

1 comment:

  1. Bon Voyage, dear Meg! I look forward to biking vicariously through your pictures & blog. I'm a little envious of what you're doing - but know full well that when I was 25 I was far too much of a chicken to have done anything similar! You go, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete